Flashcards in notes on social psychology Deck (12):
SOCIAL INFLUENCES on self? (2)
- SELF-CONCEPT: accurate/inaccurate?
- SELF ESTEEM: high/low?
--> note: you can have an accurate self concept and low self esteem and vice versa.
SOCIAL IMPRESSIONS? (3)
- SCHEMA (representative heuristics-->stereotypes...)
- FIRST IMPRESSIONS
- LASTING IMPRESSIONS
How do we, as observers, make ATTRIBUTIONS about the behavior of others? (3) Is it me, or is it the other person?
we look for:
Types of ATTRIBUTIONS? (2)
- INTERNAL (sth I did!)
- EXTERNAL (doesn't have anything to do with me; circumstances...)
How we make ATTRIBUTIONS --> CONSENSUS e.g. asking louis to go to concert
- would other people REACT THE SAME WAY as the person you are observing--> would the other teachers say no also
How we make ATTRIBUTIONS --> CONSISTENCY e.g. asking louis to go to concert
- consistent response vs. inconsistent response --> does louis switch b/w no and yes --> maybe its his mood that determines, not the idea...
How we make ATTRIBUTIONS --> DISTINCTIVENESS e.g. asking louis to go to concert
- would other people who ask GET THE SAME RESPONSE? if other students asked, would louis say no too?
Conflicts --> LADDER OF ESCALATION? (4)
- growing investment in p.o.v
- see opponent as hostile, selfish
- faulty communication
- suspicion of others intent
How to promote COOPERATION? (4)
- more communication about dilemma
- initiate cooperation/respond to coop. w/ coop.
- small issues to large
- find common values/interests
Evolutionary basis for ALTRUISM? (3)
- sustain descendants --> survival of GENES, not descendants
- biological preparedness to sustain IN-GROUP and not out-group
Types of THEORIES for ALTRUISM? (3)
- EVOLUTIONARY PSYCH
- AROUSAL: COST-REWARD THOERY
- BIOLOGICAL THEORY