Flashcards in 6.13 & 6.14 Primary & Secondary Survey Deck (4)
What is involved in the secondary survey?
Central Nervous System:
- patient can talk normally
- move face
- move all 4 limbs.
* Look for unilateral weakness.
Head & Face: Look and feel for:
- deformity, tenderness & bleeding
- pupil asymmetry and reaction to light.
Neck: Look and feel for;
- deformity & tenderness
- immobilise spine if necessary
Chest: Look, feel & listen:
- symmetry of air entry
- breath sounds
Abdomen & Pelvis: Look & feel for;
Extremities: Look & feel for;
- cap refill
- gross sensation and movement
Back: Look & feel for;
What is a primary survey?
A rapid assessment of immediate threat to life.
Done for all patients, not just trauma patients.
What system do you use to perform a primary survey on pediatrics?
Pediatric assessment triangle.