Flashcards in Chapter 4 Deck (21):
what two functions does a wedding ceremony provide?
1. Public acknowledgement of the creation of a new family
2. A ritual organized by the family, marking change in status and roles among family members
why has the marriage rate declined in recent times?
increase in those never married, and those divorced, and because cohabitation is now more accepted
what is the marriage rate
a measurement of marriages that occur in a given year
what are three reasons that marriage is occurring later
1. Women have greater levels of education
2. Poorer opportunities for young workers
3. An increase in proportion of couples living together before marriage
marriage to only one person at a time
Define serial monogamy
Marriage to a string of people, but only one at a time
Marriage of one person to more than one person of the opposite sex
Marriage of one man to several wives
Define sororal polygyny
marriage of one man to several sisters
Marriage of one woman to more than one man
Under the law, how is marriage defined?
the union of two people to the exclusion of all others
age for marriage to occur?
Both partners must be 18 years old, but 16 if parental consent is present
When does conventional roles have distinct advantages?
as long as marriage lasts and employment is secure
What are disadvantages to conventional roles? (2)
1. little security for woman
2. with only one wage earner, families have less security in poor economic times
Define conventional roles
A marriage with a bread winner husband and a homemaking wife
Define shared roles
Most common type of role
Both partners work and share household responsibilities
Define dual career roles
a marriage where both partners are committed to their careers. More likely to share equally both household responsibilities and power
Define reverse conventional roles
Breadwinner wife and house making husband
what percentage of marriages are reverse conventional?
11% in 2005
When does status of common law occur?
after 2-3 years of cohabitation