Refers to positive steps taken to increase the representation of minorities (racial, ethnic minorities and women in general) in areas of employment, education, and business from which they have been historically excluded.
- Is discrimination against a person or group on the basis of age.
- Usually comes in one of two forms: discrimination against youth, and discrimination against the elderly.
A social category or status based on an age range.
Group uniting all men or women born during a certain historical time span.
Any collection of individuals who do not interact with one another.
Acts or threats designed to cause injury.
Nonindustrial systems of plant cultivation characterized by continuous and intensive use of land and labor.
A voluntary form of behaviour motivated by a desire to improve another person's welfare rather than the expectation of reward for oneself.
Changeable aspects of an individual's immediate surroundings, e.g., light, sounds, air quality, humidity, temperature etc.
Factors in the environment that contribute to the experience of stress.
Principle of descent that does not automatically exclude the children of either sons or daughters.
AMERICAN ANTHROPOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION (AAA)
The major professional association for anthropologists in the United States.
ANALYSIS of VARIANCE or ANOVA
- A method for analysing the relationship between two or more variables where the dependent variable is interval-level and the independent variable(s) is or are nominal.
- It proceeds by testing the significance of any differences between the mean values of the dependent variable within the different groups described by the independent variable.
- Is useful where the independent variable has three or more categories, and can then be understood as an extension of the logic of the t-test.
- A reference point for making judgements.
- In social judgement theory, it is the point corresponding to the centre of the latitude of acceptance.
Ideas or methods of research which prioritize men's views of the world, excluding the experience of women.