Flashcards in Dana - chapter17. Deck (24):
- Specific (adj.)
- Exact, Special, Unique.
- Detailed or exact.
- Is there anything specific you want for dinner?
- Domain (n.)
- Knowledge base.
- Area of knowledge or activity.
- I live in Domain apartment.
- Assured (v.)
- Confident, Guaranteed.
- To promise someone that something will or it is true if they are worried.
- He gave his evidence in a very confident and assured way.
- Investment (n.)
- Speculation, Funding.
- That act of putting money into property of business.
- A used car is rarely a good investment.
- Validity (n.)
- Legally or officially acceptable.
- The validity of the data may have been affected in several ways.
- Quote (v.)
- Estimate, Citation.
- To repeat exactly something that someone has said or written.
- He began his speech by quoting shakespeare.
- Subsidy (n.)
- Grant, Allowance.
- Money that is paid by government or organization to reduce the cost/services to lower prices.
- The city is increasing subsidies for public transit.
- Explicit (adj.)
- Clear, Expressed.
- Clear; making something easy to understand.
- The movie contains scenes of explicit violence.
- Framework (n.)
- Model, Structure.
- Basic structure of a text, concept or system.
- An iron framework surrounds the sculpture.
- License (v.)
- Permit, Permission.
- To grant a permit to use something or to allow an activity to take place.
- I got my driver license two months ago.
- Immigrate (v.)
- Move, Relocate.
- To enter a country to live there.
- I immigrated to the United States last year.
- Assemble (v.)
- Gather, Collect.
- To come together, or bring things or people together in a group.
- She assembled all of her old photos into three albums.
- Denote (v.)
- Designate, Suggest.
- To indicate or be a sign of something; to mean something.
- Implication (n.)
- Suggestion, Import.
- The effect that something will have on something else in the future.
- I am sorry, I did not want to make that implication.
- Inclination (n.)
- tendency, propensity.
- A feeling that makes someone want to behave in a particular way.
- My first inclination was to say no, but I finally decided to do what she asked.
- Collapse (n/v)
- Breakdown, Burst.
- A sudden fall.
- He warned that such measures could cause the economy to collapse.
- Constraint (n.)
- A limit of something.
- They refuse to work under constraint any longer.
- Subordinate (v.)
- Lower-ranking, Secondary.
- To treat a person or thing else important than another.
- The student are subordinate to the teachers.
- Reluctance (n.)
- Doubts, Second thoughts.
- Not wanting to do something because you are not sure if it is the right thing to do.
- She sensed his reluctance to continue.
- Constructed (adj.)
- To build or make something.
- They plan to construct a barn behind the house.
- Core (n.)
- The central or most important part of something.
- Most people do not eat the apple's core.
- Notion (n.)
- Idea, Understanding.
- Something that you have in your mind that you belief.
- I had no notion of what her words meant.
- Mature (adj.)
- To be fully grown or fully developed.
- He had matured and he was ready to be a father no matter what it took.