Flashcards in DANA - chapter19 Deck (24):
- Pursue (v.)
- Follow, Engage in.
- To continue with something to find out more.
- We will continue pursuing the course.
- Undertake (v.)
- Contract, Take on.
- To carry out
- I will undertake the group work.
- Reveal (v.)
- Show, Uncover.
- To make something known that was a secret before.
- I can't reveal the research details.
- Notwithstanding (adv.)
- Without being affected by; however.
- Notwithstanding, the exam was very hard.
على الرغم من
- Survive (v.)
- Remain alive.
- To continue to live or exist.
- In the final exams, we have to study all day and all night and survive with few hours of sleeping.
البقاء على قيد الحياة
- Straightforward (adj.)
- Uncomplicated, Simple.
- Easy to do or understand.
- I asked him some questions, and he answer it straightforward.
- Equate (v.)
- To consider one thing as being the same as something else.
- You shouldn't equate between these two things.
- Identical (adj.)
- Exactly the same.
- Last day I saw an identical twins.
- Empirical (adj.)
- Based on experiments or practical experience.
- Our studies is based on empirical evidence.
- Summarize (v.)
- Short description of main ideas or events of something.
- We summarize the main topic that our teacher was talking about.
- Statistics (n.)
- Numbers, Facts.
- Number that shows facts or provides information about something; numbers that have been collected to provide info.
- You have to take a statistic class if you are going to study business.
- Deduce (v.)
- Figure out.
- To form an opinion based on facts that you already know.
- He cannot deduce his descent.
- Mediate (v.)
- To try to settle a disagreement between two or more people.
- I'm attempting to mediate between the two sides.
- Journal (n.)
- Magazine, Newspaper.
- A magazine full of articles about one subject.
- I'll records my dreams in a journal.
- Behalf (n.)
- In order to help someone
- I talked on him behalf when he lost his words.
- Compound (n.)
- Two or more things combined together.
- We compounded our error by waiting too long to call for help.
- Restrain (v.)
- To keep someone/something under control.
- I could barely restrain my anger.
- Colleague (n.)
- A person you work with in a job.
- My colleague is very friendly.
- Infer (v.)
- Guess, Understand.
- To teach a conclusion from the information you have.
- We learned how to infer in the reading class.
- Compile (v.)
- Compose, Collect.
- To collect info and arrange it in a list, book, etc.
- He compiled a book of poems.
- Liberal (adj.)
- Flexible, Free.
- Large amounts; generous.
- This guy is very liberal with the food.
- Substitute (v.)
- Replacement, Exchange.
- To use something instead of something else.
- Our teacher is absent, so we have a substitute teacher.
- Guidelines (n.)
- Advice on what to do about something.
- We wrote a guidelines for our research paper.