Flashcards in Lesson 6 Deck (11):
(the chief reason)
* houses are made chiefly of wood products.
* corn is the chief crop of the midwest.
* in some parts of the world, text messaging is more commonplace than voice calling.
* female lawyers are commonplace in the United States.
SYN approximately, to some extent, relatively
* it was comparatively easy for him to learn baseball because he had been a cricket player.
* if you compare algebra and trigonometry, you will discover that algebra is less complex.
following accepted rules or standards.
* professor Canfield agreed with the conventional theory about the origin of the Basque language.
* to become integrated into a society, you must learn the conventions of that society.
* a curious object was discovered in the remains.
* sally was curiously interested in the history of Alaska.
(n) emissions, emitter,
* the raging forest fire emitted a dense, white smoke.
* modern telescope can detect the faintest light emitted by distant stars.
* in tropical zones, it's exceedingly hot and humid.
* it's not safe to exceed the speed limit.
no one else, nothing else
* this room is used exclusively by the faculty.
* they excluded everyone under 21 from the contest.
(adj) extremely large
* from the mountaintop you can see the immense valley.
* she was immensely interested in the idea of teaching a foreign language.
not easy to bend
* the teacher was very rigid in his ideas about class attendance.
* he adhered rigidly to his opinion about marriage.