Flashcards in Lesson 10 Deck (13):
* the dominant life forms of the Paleozoic era lived in the water.
* the skyscraper dominated the skyline.
* the volcano had been dormant for hundreds of years before the eruption month.
* the seniors live in the new dormitory.
* their clothing was quite drab.
* the drabness of the desert made driving less interesting.
* the dramatic finish to the game left us speechless.
* the hurricane dramatically changed the coastline.
elaborate (adj) (v)
* an elaborate head dress
indicated rank within Aztec community.
* his elaboration of the issue was quite through.
* the orchestra's performance was exceptional.
* the North Star is exceptionally bright.
hazardous = precarious = perilous (adj)
* handling flammable liquids is hazardous.
* there are many hazards involved with starting a business.
* the sale of the building had a minuscule effect on the profits of the corporation.
* some leaves are covered with minute hairs.
* the directors primed the actors before the performance.
* Mozart passed away in the prime of his life.
* he has a rudimentary knowledge of computers.
* the rudiments of grammar are taught in all English classes.
SYN shallow , relationship
* the inspector determined that the crack in the bridge was only superficial.
* you should not try to answer the questions superficially.
* his vigorous defense of the issues impressed everyone.
* he approached his work with vigor.