Flashcards in Lesson 24 Deck (13):
* this contaminated water supply must be closed off to the public.
* bacteria and insects are frequently ragents of food contamination.
* a feeling of anxiety was discernible among the members of the team.
* the new student was unable to discern the humor of the teacher's joke.
(small businesses are flourishing and the economy is booming)
* small flourishing companies would be harmed by an increase in the minimum wage.
* a young mind will flourish with the proper guidance.
* this is a mediocre research report.
* the mediocrity of his work was disappointing.
(adj) neglected, negligent,neglectful
(n) negligence, neglect
* the amount of bacteria in the culture was negligible.
* his negligence caused him to lose all of the work he had done on the computer.
* there were many parallels between his life and mine.
* her background parallels mine.
* this plastic has a peculiar texture.
* the puffin has many peculiarities not shared by other birds.
* he gave a potent speech at the convention.
* the venom of the coral snake is extremely potent.
* hurricane Andrew left debris scattered throughout Miami.
* the crowd scattered when it began to rain heavily.
* they feel somewhat tired after the mile run.
* buying food at a convenience store can be somewhat expensive.
stem from (ph.v)
* the author's talent in writing stem from his love of reading books.
* many opportunities have stemmed from his decision to attend the university.
* the tedious lecture bored most of the audience.
* some people become frustrated by the tedium of daily living.