Flashcards in Lesson 4 Deck (11):
*The man received an ambiguous message from their boss.
*His letter was full of ambiguities.
*Her choice of clothing seemed arbitrary.
*The teacher arbitrarily decided to give the class a test.
(n) assertiveness, assertion
to express or defend oneself strongly.
* the government asserted its control over the banking system.
* the company president is an assertive individual.
(achieve astonishing successes)
* the scientists made an astounding discovery.
* the fans were astounded by their team's success.
Very intelligent, smart
(astute and brilliant student, people)
* he was an astute worker, finishing in half the time it took the others to finish.
* the astutely determined that there would be no chance to finish on time.
* the director concurred with the conclusion of the committee's report.
* do you concur with the details of the business plan?
* the magician deceptively made the rabbit disappear.
* richard deceived Joe about the cost of the coat.
(be determined to)
* they were determined to go to graduate school.
* the judge determined that the man was lying.
(elicitation of the truth can be difficult at times)
* a lawyer will elicit all the facts or idea
* she hasn't a resilient personality.
* the doctor was surprised by his patient's resilience.