Flashcards in Lesson 28 Deck (15):
* we listened in amusement as he tried to convince his friend to lend him 50$.
* his amusing comment made everyone laugh.
SYN feasibly- possibly
(It is conceivable that)
* they could conceivably earn first place with their science project.
* It is conceivable that humans will travel to distant planets one day.
* when boiled, liquids convert into gases.
* the conversation from fahrenheit to centigrade can be easily made.
* the curative properties of certain plants have been well documented.
* there is no simple cure for the ills of society.
* the lack of investment saving has a debilitating effect on the economy.
* the patient's debility limited his mobility.
SYN consume - use up
(depleted all for her savings)
* she depleted all her savings to buy the word processor.
* the depletion of the Ozone layer has debilitating effects on the world.
* there are a finite number of explanations for the unusual results.
* is there a finite number of stars in the universe.
(adj) perceptive, perceivable
(adv) perceptibly, perceptively
* we perceive major differences between the two political parties.
* Porpoises are very perceptive mammals.
take on (v)
* certain programs take on the task of protecting a computer from harmful internet viruses.
* the athlete enjoys taking on new fitness challenges.
* disposal of toxic wastes is an ongoing environmental issue.
* * this product has the highest toxicity of any known to science.
* the tranquility of the lake at sunrise inspired a profound sense of well-being.
* his tranquil manner of expression made us all feel more secure.
* I was trapped into paying for the meal.
* the trapped animals were released after being tagged by the wildlife conservationists.
* of all the planets in our solar system, the earth is undeniably the most conductive to supporting life.
* it is undeniable that he has skill, but he needs to show more initiative.
* the underestimated demand for tickets made the theatre manager plan better for the next performance.
* the treasurer underestimated the cost of the new furniture.