Flashcards in Lesson 14 Deck (13):
* the area known as the Sahra Desert is one of the most arid places in the world.
* the valley on the leeward side of the mountain was extremely arid.
* she could have averted the accident if she had not been texting while driving.
* the citizens packed sandbags along the river bank to avert the flooding of their streets.
ample (adj) = adequate
* there is ample evidence that the young man was speeding when the accident occurred.
* she was amply paid for the work she completed.
(defy the laws)
* I defy you to find that book in the library's collection.
* the circus performer demonstrated his death-defying routine.
* Stephanie displayed great diligence in the completion of her assignments.
* the diligent worker received recognition for his accomplishments.
SYN to pass a law , legislate
* congress enacted the legislation during its last session.
* the enactment of the laws was in the hands of the Senate.
* she feigned illness when it was time to visit the dentist.
* the athlete feigned his injury.
(n) fertility, fertilizer
(fertile mind, fertile brain, fertile imagination)
* the delta areas of rivers are known for their fertile soil.
* fertilizer are used on crops to increase yields.
* freshly harvested produce is hard to find in the winter months.
* the product's freshness depends on an efficient transportation system to bring it to market.
* the indiscriminate arrangement of the product made the store confusing.
* the book's chapters seem to be organized indiscriminately.
pinpoint (v) (adj)
* the engineers were immediately able to pinpoint the problem with the bridge.
* the news advanced thermometer measure the temperature with pinpoint accuracy.
(n) spaciousness , space
* the spacious plains of the midwest make up the nation's breadbasket.
* a vacuum is an empty space.