Flashcards in Lesson 26 Deck (14):
* the governor made a controversial decision to raise taxes.
* the controversy was caused by the proposal to build an airport in the area.
* the recent downturn in the housing industry exemplifies the poor economic conditions.
* her exemplary academic achievement is representative of most students at this institution.
factor in (ph.verb)
* the family had to factor in the price of gasoline as they planned their road trip.
* the architect did not factor in the required distance from the sidewalk in his design.
* studying abroad can be a very gratifying experience.
* she was grateful for all the work he had done for her.
(n) interpreter, interpretation, interpreting
* the ambiguous speech was very difficult to interpret.
* the interpretation of the story generated some interesting discussion.
(n) launch, launching
* the company launched a new program to attract more clients.
* the launching of the first Soviet Sputnik created concern among the American public.
* the engineer had a legitimate reason for changing the design of the building.
* the legitimacy of the theory has yet to be determined.
* the hippopotamus basking in the sun displayed almost total lethargy.
* when it is time to do homework assignments, many students become lethargic.
* a bald eagle stood on the ridge of the tall office building.
* the mountain ridge was heavily forested.
* the old man's life spanned two centuries.
* the span of the bridge is three miles.
* the spontaneous combustion inside the cylinder creates the power of the motor.
* the crowd reacted spontaneously to the danger.
* there was a constant stream of information coming from the White House.
* water streamed from the dam as workers attempted to make the repairs.
* His striking proposal saved the company from bankruptcy.
* That was a strikingly convincing argument that the speaker delivered.