Flashcards in 13.1 Anti-Malarials Deck (6):
What are the clinical application of Malarone?
Treatment & prophylaxis of P. falciparum
What are the clinical applications of Inhibitors of Folate Synthesis?
• Chemoprophylaxis: only in combination. Proguanil +
chloroquine = no longer recommended
• Intermittent Preventive Therapy: high-risk patients
receive intermittent therapy regardless of infection status
• Treatment of chloroquine-resistant falciparum malaria
: pyrimethamine-sulfadoxine commonly used. DO NOT
use for severe malaria
Which antimalarial is active against erythocytic shizonts of all human malaria parasites? (not active against liver stage)
What are the AE of Doxycycine?
• GI, candidal vaginitis, photosensitivity
• Discoloration & hypoplasia of teeth, stunting of
• Fatal hepatotoxicity (in pregnancy)
• DO NOT use in pregnancy or children < 8y (FDA
Which antimalarial class is derived from qinghaosu plant?