Flashcards in Histology: Cardiac Histology Deck (10)
What chamber of the heart has the thickest layer?
What chamber of the heart has the thinnest layer?
What is the endocardium and what makes it up?
• Innermost layer
• Composed of:
– Simple squamous epithelium (endothelium)
– Connective Tissue
– Subendocardium: in contact with cardiac muscle and contains small vessels, nerves, and Purkinje Fibers.
What are the Purkinje-Fibers?
• Impulse conducting fibers
• Large modified muscle cells
What is the thickest part of the heart wall?
What are intercalated disks?
– Junctional complexes that contain fascia adherens, desmosomes, and gap junction to provide connection and communication.
– Bind myocytes and allow ion exchange to facilitate electrical impulses to pass
What is the epicardium and what is it composed of?
• Outermost layer of the heart
• Composed of connective tissue with nerves, vessels, adipocytes and an outer layer of mesothelium
• Mesothelium secretes pericardial fluid
• Covers and protects the heart
What are the AV valves?
– 2 AV (mitral and tricuspid) in the chambers
What are the semilunar valves?
– 2 semilunar (aortic /pulmonary)