Flashcards in 1.2 Drug Therapy assumptions (Bi) Deck (12):
Give and example of another form of therapy:
Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
Give a weakness of drug therapy:
• drugs don't completely cure
• they only control or alleviate symptoms
• not dealing with the root of the problem (trauma)
Give an example for drug therapy being both a strength and a weakness:
• efficient and easy to administer
• less time invested on the doctors part (weekly checkups to monitor progress)
According to the biological approach "all that is biological is first psychological" how should mental illness be treat?
• like a physical illness, with medication
Why should drug therapy work according to the localisation of brain function assumption?
• drugs can be used to target the areas of the brain involved in psychological disorders
Give an example of how drug therapy could be used according to localisation of brain function:
Drugs could be used to target the limbic system (regulates emotion and then mood) to help control potentially aggressive mood swings
Why should drug therapy work according to the neurotransmitter assumption?
• mental illness is thought to be caused by disrupted levels of neurotransmitters
•Drugs can be used to alter the actual of neurotransmitters at the synapses, which should treat mental illness
Give a strength of drug therapy:
• allows patients to engage in other forms of therapy once you have stabilised their condition
Why should drug therapy work according to the evolutionary influences assumption?
For example, phobic stimuli triggers the fight or flight response which triggers the release of adrenaline in the nervous system, drug therapy could be used to inhibit nervous system activity e.g slowing or stopping the release of adrenaline
Give an example of how drug therapy could be used according to the the neurotransmitter assumption, to treat depression:
depression is associated with low levels of serotonin, drug therapy could be used to increase the action of serotonin at the synapses to treat depression
Give an example of how drug therapy could be used according to the the neurotransmitter assumption, to treat schizophrenia:
schizophrenia is associated with high levels of dopamine, drugs could be used to block the action of dopamine at the synapses to treat schizophrenia