Flashcards in 8.22 Systemic Disorders Deck (24)
general symptoms of systemic disorders
- abn sensation
- weight loss
- change in mentation
- insidious onset
Temperature is on this type of rhythm
What is the circadian rhythm of body temp?
- cooler in the morning (~97˚)
- warmer in evening (~99.3˚)
When do patients typically run a fever?
When does a fever become a concern?
When is fever a concern for the elderly? Why?
fear of pneumonia is greater
What can happen at 104-106˚F?
With fever, you may get alterations in _____
What are we concerned about with fatigue?
- everyone gets tired at times
- low energy levels
With fatigue, what is important to consider that may be affecting them?
- work, family, social, physical activity level, etc.
- stress, illness, time of day
What is malaise?
- general illness, lack of energy
- general uneasiness whose exact cause is difficult to ID
What sensory and motor screening things may be warranted if a pt has paresthesia, numbness, weakness, or other weird sensations?
- 1-2 point discrimination
general to specific if necessary
upper or lower chain or both
- finger to nose
- heel up shin
- Romberg test
- position in space (static)
- dynamic movement replication
What would be merit concern with unexplained weight loss?
5% BW loss or more
What would be things to consider with unexplained weight gain?
- fluid retention
- kidney or liver issues
- medication (i.e. steroids)
AAOx3 or 4
Consider these with changes in mentation
- loss of consciousness or alertness
- thought process
most common reasons for outpatient therapy in order
1. back pain
2. neck pain
3. knee pain
4. shoulder pain