Flashcards in 8.29 Systems Review 2 Deck (17)
key phrases for malaise
- just don't feel right
- feels like I'm getting sick
- can't pinpoint why
general feeling of uneasiness or out of sorts feeling
Malaise and previous hx of illness
If they’ve had an illness before (i.e. cancer), may worry that it’s coming back
What is malaise based upon?
- clinician's interpretation
- Not generally understood by patients, so won’t be part of the questionnaire
unexplained weight loss: red flag
- 5-10% loss over 6-12 months
- warning sign for underlying diseases
unexplained weight gain: red flag
gain of 10 pounds in 2 weeks
Weight loss questions
- Was it intended?
- Did you change your diet?
- Under stress lately?
- Any new symptoms over period of weight loss?
- any swelling (esp. swollen ankles)
Problem reason for eating less
- not hungry lately
- sick to their stomach
Why is it a concern for a pt to be eating less than normal due to lack of hunger or sick feeling?
- thyroid disorder
- renal disease
What is a warning sign of preeclampsia?
5 pound weight gain in one week during pregnancy
What is preeclampsia?
A potentially dangerous pregnancy complication characterized by high blood pressure
yellow flags of paresthesia, numbness, and weakness
weakness without other neuro symptoms
red flags for paresthesia, numbness, and weakness
- progressive sensory or strength deficits
- saddle paresthesia
- urinary retention
- increased urinary frequency
- urinary incontinence
specific symptoms for paresthesia, numbness, and weakness
- glove and stocking distribution
- B extremity deficits
- combo of UE and LE patterns
sensory loss: consider
strength loss: consider
- weakness (not related to recent activity)
- frank weakness (foot drop)