Flashcards in Myloid cells Deck (29):
sims and diffs. in adults vs. children marrrow
same amount, but only axial bones in adults
2 diff. marrow tests
1. aspirate - liquid marrow - know cell types
2. biopsy - plug - can see neighborhoods
def. of myloid cell
any cell that isn't a myphocyte
2 important features of stem cells
3 feats. of progentior cell
2. rapid prolif.
3. limited self-renewal
path of cell production
stem cell>progenitor>precursor>end cell
feats. of mature blood cell
1. one lineage
2. no proliferation
3 steps of cell formation
1. hematopoetic cells interact with marrow env.
2. hemat. cells home to bone marrow
3. mature cells leave via sinusoids
def. of transcription factor
gene/protein which can influence multiple other genes
what stimulates blood cell production
cytokine for neutrophil dev.
where do most neutrophils hang out
in marrow and margin around the vessel
life smap and feat. or neutrophil
half-life of 6 hours
mostly in marrow
no cell division
4 types of WBCs and what they do
1. neutrophil - move in to destroy and clear
2. eosonphil - defense against helminths, parasites, hypersensitivty reactions
3. basophils - effector in hypersensitivity
4. monocytes/macrophages - phagocytos, antigen presenters
****6 steps of neutrophil response
6. microbicidal activity
what happens if neutropenia
- too few neutrophils - infections!
treatment for congenital neutropenia
problems with neutrophil function (2)
1. insufficiant adhesion - don't attache to wall
2. insufficiant oxidative cap. - don't break stuff down
how neutrophil knows to roll
selectins on vessel wall
how neutrophil know to adhesion
integrins on neutrophil membrane
conseq. of adhesion probs.
high neutophil count, but no pus
- lots of infection and death before 2
conseq. of oxidation probs.
accumulation of immature blast cells
define acute myeloid leukemia
blast express one of several myeloid phenotypes
2 different classes of myloid mutations
1. proliferation and survival
2. impaired differentiation
mechanism of leukemia mutations
- translocation convert transcription factor from activator to repressor
- then doesn't differentiate cells to end cells
what do chemo drugs do?
kill dividing cells
what determines duration between courses in chemo?
neutrophil recovery time